The Lovely Life

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Boys like Cake too

My Second Cake of 2011!


This was a cake for my Father In Law, who is a huge Guiness fan! It was actually nothing like I planned. And I have a general rule with my cakes that I never, ever write on them myself. I use cookie cutters, or stencils, or even laminated letters.

Well I went against my own rule, because when I got home, expecing to frost and decorate my cake, I realized that my 3 and a half year old had gotten into it... badly! We had 3 hours until we were due at the In-Laws. And if you think that is plenty of time to make a cake, well than you and I make cakes very differently. I had to think fast!

I decided to turn them into cake balls. I knew that the basic recipe was taking a cooked cake, and mingling it with frosting. I stirred them together, and then let them set for as long as possible (some recipes call for as long as keeping them overnight!), before having to move on to the next step. When I took it out, and realized it's potential, I started thinking that I could probably mold that cake mush into just about any form. Hence the glass. And so on, and so on.

It was so moist! It tasted like some kind of brownie cake. It's definitely not my neatest cake ever, but I got to try some new ideas, which is exactly what I wanted out of this "make more cakes" resolution. So sweet to that!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome idea! And it looks great! I never would have guessed you molded it yourself. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The frosting looks delicious! Now I want cake darnit!

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
My name is Lindsay, and I am a very busy Mommy! I have a 6 year old little boy, an *almost* 4 year old little girl, and a 12 year old step-daughter. I am married to my first and only Love, and this past March we celebrated our 7th Wedding Anniversary. My family is my greatest accomplishment! I love Art, in all of its forms. I love painting, sketching, crafting, writing, doodling, scrap booking, even cake making, and of course photography. When I am not spending time with my kids, or my family, I love being with my friends. I cherish the relationships in my life above all else. I am a down to earth, happy go lucky, madly in love with life kinda gal! :)